Steve said:

>You've finally come around to this view John, and you'll discover that you have a lot of company in > that view - which isn't (widely) represented on this list or necessarily within WISPA.

I did not "finally come around" Steve. For the record, I wanted VL at the time I bought my Trango 4 or 5 years ago. You know why I bought Trango instead?

1) VL was still in trial and was not ready. I could not buy it at any price.
2) Trango was ready and it worked reasonably well for the last 4 or 5 years. (I still like Trango.)
3) VL was going to be way too expensive to be a value for my application.

You know why I made the move to VL? I will tell you, Steve, it was not that I suddenly saw the light like some dumb hick that I sometimes think you take me for. I made the move because the price is better now, the equipment works and is available now. It gives me the speeds I need at the price point I can afford now. It is a good value. Trango is and was a good value for me when I used it. I will continue using the Trango I have as I migrate my backhauls over to VL over time. This organic upgrade will be seamless for the most part. For those who can afford to buy the VL from the start then this would be a good move. For me this was not an option. Did I mention that IT WAS NOT AVAILABLE WHEN I NEEDED IT ORIGINALLY.

Alvarion still has some issues as a company. I talked on the phone today with Patrick and let him know where I think Alvarion is weak. They have no licensed backhaul. This amazes me. Alvarion, a company pushing licensed WiMAX has no licensed backhaul product offerings, I mean ZERO. How do they expect people to get bandwidth in high interference areas or from a metro area into a rural area? Licensed backhaul is a logical evolutionary step in building smarter and better "carrier-grade" fixed broadband. The most logical and highest reliability would come from network designs with licensed backhauls feeding unlicensed distribution segments. This can and does lead to good networks. I believe Conxx is built on this premise correct?

Regardless of who you are (all of you) and what size your WISP is we all need to be discussing how the next steps of larger Wi-op (WISP Operator) business will look and how the early steps can be important to the future evolution of a new WISP. What technologies will float to the top? What business models will work? How can you design for future proofing your network? What should we avoid? We have seen many operators grow to be larger and we could be learning much from them. We need to embrace them and they should be helping us. Why? If fixed broadband wireless grows then it helps all of us. If the bigger operators think they can ignore the smaller ones then that is arrogant and backward thinking.

This industry can and will mature. We can all work together for common interests and share our information or we can clam up and/or split into fragmented groups. At this point in time I see more and more splitting and fragmenting of small WISPs, rural WISPs, Metro WISPs, Big WISPs, BWSPs, Muniwireless, etc. Feel free to form your cliques but know this. We better all be looking at ways of helping each other and finding common ground first. The rest of the noise we see hear often means nothing to me and is not worthy of my time.
Scriv