George,

At this point, there are no mobile frequency profiles planned for UL at all.
This could change, but it won't likely change with respect to 5GHz; the
profile there will only be for 802.16-2004 (all fixed, all the time).

There may be some UL fixed WiMAX that gets certified this year, but be
appropriately cautious of any early UL WiMAX in terms of its ability to live
in an interfered environment. I suspect many existing products will handle
interference much better, at least until or unless some standardized or
proprietary mechanisms are added. And the addition of a proprietary
technique is a perfectly acceptable product strategy, so long as it is in
addition to, and not in replace of, the standard. That sort of technique is
a key way for vendors to differentiate products.

In terms of the people making the claims out your way, they are surely
overstating what they are doing, either intentionally or out of ignorance.
Both happen. In all likelihood, it is perhaps something like a Navini 2.4GHz
system (which is actually CDMA, not WiMAX) using Navini's PC card, or they
are using the term "mobile," when it is actually just portable or nomadic.
It might also simply be some mesh system, such as Motorola's (wherein their
marketing they work hard to confuse and otherwise borrow off the hype value
of WiMAX).

One thing is for sure, "mobile WiMAX" and "unlicensed" are for now and the
foreseeable future are entirely mutually exclusive of the other.

As to whether licensed mobile WiMAX would have challenges in your area based
on terrain, the answer is no more or less than whether licensed cellular has
challenges. Every area presents a challenge, but all are easily overcome
depending on frequency and then the network architecture (e.g cell density
and frequency re-use)...and of course a workable business model and the
CAPEX to support it!

 - Patrick

Patrick Leary
AVP Marketing