Patrick:

I disagree that the market is (directly) rewarding "survival of the
nastiest" - it's rewarding systems that are designed to survive in a mixed
environment. If that behavior is perceived as "nasty" by systems that are
less robust, oh well.

But there's a tradeoff - systems whose primary feature is survivability
will eventually fall out of favor because their performance will not be
acceptable and the users of such systems won't be able to sell services
based on that lower level of performance.

My "Darwinian Effect of License-exempt Wireless" encompasses not just the
technological evolution of license-exempt systems, but also the economic
evolution of license-exempt systems. It's not enough to be merely "more
survivable" - there's an intense ECONOMIC imperative to be
better-performing, more cost-effective... otherwise the systems won't get
bought.

We've seen what happens to systems that are "survivable" but don't evolve
their performance - two that immediately come to mind are RadioLAN and
Airdata WIMAN; both were very robust, but didn't offer competitive
performance over time. Older product lines eventually fall victim to
newer, higher-performance, more cost-effective product lines... often from
entirely new vendors.

The beautiful thing about the ISM/UNII rules is that no one can be
EXCLUDED; you're permitted to TRY just about anything that follows the
relatively simple and basic rules. That's what enables the Darwinian
Effect. The risks are WELL known... at least they should be, by anyone
wanting to try to make a business using the ISM/UNII bands. If the risks
aren't to one's liking, well there's always the licensed alternative -
little technological risk, but huge economic risk from the cost of the
licenses.

Understood that the risk/reward of license-exempt spectrum might not be
high enough for the biggest players to make multi-million dollar
investments into license-exempt spectrum. But... the HUGE market means
that smaller players seem to keep being willing to try, and that more than
balances out the seeming lack of investment from the largest players. For
example, though Alvarion deigns to participate in the municipal mesh Wi-Fi
business, that doesn't seem to be hurting that business as that leaves
lots of room for smaller players - Tropos, SkyPilot Networks, BelAir
Networks, etc., all offering ample innovation and good performance in
providing a service that the conventional wisdom says that wasn't
possible.

Thanks,

Steve

---