From: "Brian Webster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 10:10 AM
Subject: RE: [WISPA] Pioneering Wi-Fi City Sees Startup Woes

Jack,
I hate to say it but didn't we say I told you so........ There is just not
enough spectrum to design networks like this to work with anything but
dedicated CPE devices with outdoor antennas. Simply flooding an area with
more signal to let laptops inside a house work will not solve the problem.
It just creates more noise on already maxed out spectrum. I really wish

the

vendors and project stalwarts would admit this is a problem with these
networks and not gloss it over. Self interference and outside interference
are always going to be huge problems in these muni-networks. Everyone

trying

to build on the fact that off the shelf consumer devices can access this
network will be the downfall. Wi-fi was never designed for a massive

outdoor

deployment such as this and when you try to make up for the fact that you

do

not have control over the CPE when it comes to proper RF planning you are
doomed to failure. Just my 2 cents.

Thank You,
Brian Webster
www.wirelessmapping.com <http://www.wirelessmapping.com>