Patrick Leary wrote:
We are on the same page, trust me. There has yet to be a solidly working
civic access muni network. By solidly, I mean indoor coverage without
forced buying of a secondary CPE. We have also yet to see a successfully
scaled mesh network for low cost civic access. Philly and San Fran are
still on paper only. These networks are able to provide good outdoor
coverage only so far. That is also why we like playing the multipoint
backhaul layer. We can reliably deliver that middle layer and get high
connectivity for the mesh nodes, fixed cameras, traffic lights, a city
buildings, but the success of the Wi-Fi layer is beyond our control and
remains the questionable piece.
What happens to Alvarion when these networks fail? Does the market get flooded with your radios for pennies on the dollar? Does it make customers question the viability of wireless operators in general? We are certainly questioned routinely on why we will succeed when WinStar and others failed.

-Matt