First of all, are you familiar with Intrado's recent past? Watching them lose their business because of VoIP e911 is pretty telling. Secondly, there is no way to be 100% legal regarding VoIP since e911 is not available everywhere, while at the same time the FCC requires all VoIP operators to provide e911 everywhere. Then there is the realty of working with VoIP upstreams. If you think a good backend system is going to make it all work you are mistaken. I can't tell you how many manual LNP orders we have to handhold. Heck, one of the PSAPs in our market requires all 911 database updates to be faxed to them.

e911 is not what is holding companies back. What is holding companies back is that VoIP is hard and expensive. We try and make it as seamless as possible to our VoIP downstreams, but it isn't perfect.

I know people want to disagree, but we are doing hundreds of thousands of minutes each month, which I suspect is more than anyone else on this list.

-Matt

Mac Dearman wrote:
 I thought I would "feel out" the listonians here at WISPA first to see if I
could peak anyone's interest in a venture we have been working toward for a
couple months.

My VoIP Company is currently in the final stages of getting set up with
Intrado (www.intrado.com) (Nations largest e911 provider) for our backbone
and call handling with the ability to resell e911 at an affordable price to
other ISPs who wish to legally have a VoIP service offering. It has been a
long and super expensive adventure and that's why so many of us are not
selling VoIP now. We will offer private branding and FCC compliance
certificates for all who would enter into this with us as well as a web
interface for management and updating, IVR updating, 24x7 call center as
well as a SOAP API interface or branded website.

 I have thought long and hard about the costs of getting onboard with other
e911 providers and I know that is the reasons so many of us aren't already
"whole hog" in the VoIP business. Most of these other companies are charging
a $5K set up fee and a $400.00 month minimum and as much as $3.00 per month
per DID just to offer VoIP legally. SCANDALOUS!

Would anyone be interested in a solution that would make you 100% FCC legal
that wouldn't impose all the financial burdens on you to get set up and
running?

I am talking a WISPA Members deal here folks!
If you aren't a WISPA paid member yet - - - it would be in your best
interest to do so as this is going to rock the boat and make it EASY for all
of us WISPs to get in the VoIP arena. It will be exceptionally easy for any
WISPA member

Please hit me off list if you questions or concerns. Mac