Brian,

How is billing done when most high ARPU business's demand paper billing?

This is something I don't get. What is the difference between me generating the bill, emailing it out, and them printing it.....vs........me generating the bill.......me printing it out........letting snail mail pick it up. It's the same. Both times it is generated, printed, and mailed. I don't paper bill. I just tell them to push print.

Thats the difference between a full service company and a commodity service provider, the full service provider understands why the customer should not have to "click print."

There is more to it though. Large business accounting practices is for all Snail mail to be sent to the accounting department for processing. The common bin that all accounting personel look to to enter new bills into their accounting system for net terms payment. Email accounts generally tend to be individual specific apposed to group specific. They are trained to open envelopes, because 99% of their bills come that way. Its about proceedure. People forget about things that go against proceedure. OFten Email invoices nevewr get to the authoritary person, never get entered, and then never get paid. Business do not want special circumstnace proceedures that have to be remembered. Businesses don;t want providers that take money out of their accounts without guaranteed paper trails, or without guarantee or confirmation that services were first provided. They don;t want to be responsible for billing errors automatically withdrawn, they want to maintain control. What do you do when cash flow does not allow payment? Are you going to disconnect a high ARPU business? Do you want to get the excuses, "I didn't get the bill so it didn't get entered for payment"? Its our responsibility to get it to them. Email addresses change, street addresses rarely do. Leigitimate Email often gets blocked as spam, snail mail always goes through.

How is bandwdith management done when just limiting a single backhaul connection is no longer the requirement, and smarter things are needed like roaming policies, QOS, Labeling, Latency guarantees, nested/layered cell sites, MPLS type stuff, tracking dissimilar network equipmentthat gets deployed differently, etc..

I think this system will do exactly what it represents, help a WISP get started, so they can concentrate on selling, operate more efficiently, and track their progress for better obtaining funding, during the early years. But as soon as someone starts to scale,

If a WISP were mostly residential, what is a guesstimate of the number of subs one would have at the "starts to scale" time?

Hard to say. But with residential, its more important to have efficient system for managing the customers, to make low revenue business feasible, and its less important to have all the extra fancy custom QOS and tracking features. Partnership tracking, revenue share tracking, QOS, Latency guarantees, etc, are all Business High ARPU needs. The flip side is that for residential, not having the systems may prevent being able to scale. Its the high ARPU business models that cost justify self made custom applications, apposed to using whats available.

they are going to realize how they need to make their own custom solution because whats available isn't going to cut it, and its going to be cost jsutified to put complete solutions in place. I guess my point is, even the best solutions are not good enough.

It is hard to believe we are all so different in our operations. Is there not something available somewhere out there that would work for most? How can we get anything done as an industry in we all have to invent our own wheel from scratch. Well, I hope it is obvious that I need a "WISP services" service, because I do.

I agree. Its not our businesses that are so different. But unfortunately the software developers haven't quite gotten it yet. (our business) They come close, but close is not good enough. Everyone wants to leverage what they already have an adapt it. BUt that doesn't work, the application needs to be done from the ground up, as the WISP business is much different than other tech businesses, and other wired ISP businesses. The flow of a WISP's opperations are completely different. I'm building my own app only because I waiting 5 years for someone else to do it and it never came.

Sure there are things like OptiGold, Logisense, and Platipus that came close. But that only gets you half way there. Sure WISPs no what they need, but they tend to do hte absolute minimum needed for their need, as they are in the WISP business not the applications sales business. It also becomes a conflic of interest for them to sell their solutions that give them thier competitive advantage.

The things that scares me about dboss services is it's not mine. It'd be nice to be able to have some program that does all the "WISP services" but is installed on my server in my data center and only I have access. That way no one can mess it up for me and no one can keep me out.

Those are the reasons I'd never use it. Locking me out of my own customers list would kill me. Integration to my own systems would also be harder. It gives them the leverage to expand into your market and steal your cusomers, if they had a business case to do so. Everyone wants to guarantee that they get paid. But sometimes everyone can't, and the WISP needs to be able to make that decission of who. Lose control of billing, and you lose control of client.

My bigger concern with the app was that its an upsell for other things. What if they other things don;t evolve to be state of the art? You've got an app that can't adapt to the better box you make your self. The question is how sophisticated does a WISP plan to be, and will they have a better router solution themselves, needing integration? Maybe maybe not.

But the flip side is a program like that can save a smaller WISP. My thought is the application forces a WISP to mold to good cash flow model, and I'd guess the leasing opportunity is real, as the application guarantees when it is safe to grant the lease or not. Finance may be a bigger problem for a small WISP than needing to keep inhouse control of their accounting application.

I wish I would have had an application like that 5 years ago. I can count the hours it would have saved, and the structure it would have helped mold.

Tom DeReggi

Brian

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc