You will also want to use a battery that has similar characteristics as the batteries that are already in it. Not all batteries charge and disipate at the same rate. So you would need to know what batteries are in it already and then compare manufacturer's detail specs. Otherwise what happens is a year down the road, one set of batteries work and the other set of batteries deteriorates, and your run-time goes way way down. A lot of people don't realize this, if they do not have a lot of power failures.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] External battery on UPS

You can't use just 1 battery. The APC units want to see 24vdc, so you need two batteries running in series.

It works perfectly, as I have 20+ remote locations running off two gel type batteries. Make sure you install some type of a fuse on the positive side of the connection.

Travis
Microserv

Mark Nash - Lists wrote:
I believe I remember some discussion on this list on connecting an external battery to an APC UPS. I'm in the middle of doing it right now and am having problems. The UPS just beep continuously with the 'bad battery' light on. I'm using a Lifeline deep cycle battery. Any ideas?

Mark Nash
Network Engineer
UnwiredOnline.Net
350 Holly Street