One the biggest factors holding our industry back is a lack of success on the part of the big poster children. People look at the past failures of WinStar and Teligent and wonder if new entrants can succeed. Many investors are watching FiberTower and NextLink to see if these new poster children can prove the business model.

It doesn't really matter that neither FiberTower or NextLink are representative of our industry. What matters is they are both publicly traded fixed wireless companies. This means that all fixed wireless companies are viewed through the lens of these publicly traded companies since they are the only ones with enough information for people to draw conclusions on.

If you look at FiberTower's and NextLink's latest numbers you should be very worried. NextLink is failing and I predict will be out of business in the not too distant future. FiberTower is much better off than NextLink, but they are burning cash at an impressive rate. One can easily predict them running out of cash sometime next year if things follow a similar trend.

Some of us on this list do more revenue than NextLink, but I doubt that will matter when they go under. Our valuations will decline in lock step to any failures by these two companies.

-Matt