JohnnyO wrote:

What's illegal about it ? How about scanning and connecting and using an
open access point.

I think that you will find that using an open access point to allow a first-responder (police, fire, etc.) to communicate with the rest of the world would not be considered a crime.

Jack - let me ask you a very simple question. If you left your front
door open, and I just happened to be walking by and noticed your wife,
would it be ok if I came in and umm "connected" so to speak with her and
used her for a bit ?

Well, you better be wearing your strongest jock cup or else be prepared to suffer serious consquences when her toe or knee contacts your private parts. Here's my minimum recommendation:

http://www.amazon.com/SG-Profile-Abdominal-Protective-Jock/dp/B0009ZBFPK

Just because an access point is "open" and non-secure, does not mean you
have permission. Just like if you left your door open to your house,
does not mean I have permission to come in and use your wife.....
Sorry for the analogy, but it's the only one I can come up with that
makes sense to me... You need to remember, Im just one of those dumb
Cajun boys.

OK, I'll forgive the analogy but, in a real emergency, you have to do what needs to be done.

jack

JohnnyO