Matt Liotta wrote:

I certainly understand your point as we have a variety of radio vendor equipment with a variety of management interfaces. However, all of them have SNMP interfaces, which gave us a common way to manage all of our radios.

Yeah, well, now we're kinda back to the whole "you wanna give me a new network?" thing. If I have any say in it, any new gear will be easier to manage, but that doesn't magically make all the old gear work that way. I have backhaul links that only support read-only SNMP, and at least one backhaul link that has no remote management at all (fortunately it hasn't broken in the last five years :)

[BGP and friends]
It should only break when someone is changing a configuration.

"Should" being the key word. ;)

(Bad example, as I'm the only one in the office who ever does anything BGP-ish, but I follow your meaning. My point is that in the real world things like this do occasionally go completely bananas.)

Just for giggles, toss me a recommendation for network management software. It needs to offer most, if not all, of the functionality of the command line, and work with at least the vendors I specified previously (Mikrotik, Valemount, Alvarion, Trango, Ligowave), and I should be able to monitor and adjust key settings from this hypothetical cell phone.

David Smith
MVN.net