David E. Smith wrote:
Yeah, well, now we're kinda back to the whole "you wanna give me a new network?" thing. If I have any say in it, any new gear will be easier to manage, but that doesn't magically make all the old gear work that way. I have backhaul links that only support read-only SNMP, and at least one backhaul link that has no remote management at all (fortunately it hasn't broken in the last five years :)

Obviously, I can't help you with old equipment that can't be managed. Further, I am not suggesting that you throw your network out and start over. However, you can put in place a system that will work for most of your network. Then once you get used to that the older "unmanaged" gear will become less and less desirable. This should eventually lead to a situation where it is cheaper to replace the gear than leave it in place.
(Bad example, as I'm the only one in the office who ever does anything BGP-ish, but I follow your meaning. My point is that in the real world things like this do occasionally go completely bananas.)

And in those cases you should probably use a laptop.
Just for giggles, toss me a recommendation for network management software. It needs to offer most, if not all, of the functionality of the command line, and work with at least the vendors I specified previously (Mikrotik, Valemount, Alvarion, Trango, Ligowave), and I should be able to monitor and adjust key settings from this hypothetical cell phone.

We did a market analysis and determined that there is no single piece of software available that would work. We then looked at what it would take to modify existing software to do this and unfortunately determined it was cheaper to build our own. With that being said, I am not suggesting that is the same direction you should take. I think you should identify specific limited tasks that you would like to accomplish from a cell phone. Those tasks will probably be cheap to implement.

-Matt