Matt Liotta wrote:

It would appear you are making incorrect assumptions. Why would it cost a lot of money? A programmer can be hired on the cheap and the amount of work you need is small. If it cost you more than a few hundred dollars you are over paying.

The original assumption was that "replacing my whole network" was where you were going with your statement, and I apologize for that misinterpretation. Not that your actual suggestion of "write a bunch of Web interfaces" is that much better...

(ooh, it's some off-topic bait! looks yummy!)

Something that can remotely log into an SSH system, screen-scrape, let me edit its configuration files (which are all in a weird proprietary text editor), and basically replicate everything you can do with SSH? That's more than a few hours' work. (At least it would be for me, but my programming experience is more Web-focused than working with terminal/curses stuff.)

Oh, and multiply that by several times, as I have several different systems for which I'd need similar interfaces. I'd need one for Trango (yes, they have a built-in Web interface but it stinks out loud), Alvarion (BreezeConfig is nice, but it's Windows-only), Mikrotik RouterOS (the Web interface is okay but there's a lot of stuff you can't easily do with it), and so on and so on.

Meanwhile, all of these things already have a nice way of twiddling their knobs remotely: their respective telnet and SSH interfaces.

I respect that you're trying to make other suggestions, and I appreciate it. This particular idea, however, is a bit of a non-starter.

David Smith
MVN.net