> What does MT do that Star doesn't do in the routing arena?

I'll add that both platforms have the same flaw.  They use OpenSource, but
then close the system. Seems kind of opposite the purpose.
On a possitive note, I have to say, Mikrotik has really innovated their
platform, with a lot of their own code and solutions, to solve problems that
couldn't be solved using the previous alternative popular open source apps
usually used for those purposes.  My hats goes off  to them.

But the risk that keeps popping up is...  They aren't Cisco, in the terms of
1000's of top tier people to research and support development of their
platform. Can we trust MT's or any small player's proprietary code, for the
long haul?  In the Open Source world, there is a clear answer to that, make
it open source, and if the developer stops maintaining it, there is a way to
get someone to take over maintaining it, without loosing the investment into
the platform.

I'm not saying companies like MT and STAROS should make their proprietary
code into open source. But what I like is the ability to ADD packages to an
existing platform.

I can give an example, of a monthy ago, when I installed a MT router because
, I thought the pretty GUI would make a good impression, but then 24hours
later I had to pull it because there was no way for me to test the
performance of the link remotely, easilly for my specific situation. I
needed Iperf on the router. It was a better choice to use a standard Linux
system, basic native routing, because it also enabled Iperf.

MT and STAROS are two nice products, but this discussion doesn't stop there.

For example ImageStream, even though a bit more expensive, they provide an
Open system. Their OS is maintained and preloaded with a few bells and
whistles.  But you CAN LOAD your own code ALSO.

Then there is Voyeta.  Its based on 2.6 Kernal of Linux, and its 100% open
source, and give the security of using a maintained OS (for example BGP and
QUAGGA fixes). But you can pay extra for maintenance and quicker updates.

MT and STARTOS, will stay winners for high end WIFI Radio CPE and APs. But
when it comes to Core Routers, to stay competitive, they really need to open
the platform, and allow third party modules to be loaded by owners or
developers.  Sure, there is the arguement that "CISCO DOESN"T DO  THAT", but
they aren't Cisco.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband