On Sun, 13 Jul 2008, Chuck McCown - 3 wrote:

>We have had the CALEA pain in the telco side for a decade.
>Believe me, it was much more expensive to become compliant if you
>were a LEC.

This is correct.  There was some money available to assist, but not
enough for 100% of the cost involved.  I'm not going into the
politics involved here, but I can imagine the logistical nightmare
of trying to oversee moneys to assist ISPs with doing the same
thing.  Either way, WISPA's standard makes this a moot point, as
the real cost is VERY minimal (actually, nearly $0) for MOST WISPs
to become compliant.

>Fact of the matter is that the internet is becoming the defacto
>alternate PSTN network and when you are a public utility you become
>beholden to the public you serve and the greater good.

Good point.  I think the real problem with this discussion is that
we are trying to answer a question that is based on a false premise.
CALEA is NOT about forcing ISPs to provide data.  We were always in
that boat, given that LEA could ask for subpoenas and get them.
CALEA is about protecting the innocent.  What CALEA actually does is
only 3 things:

1. It forces the industry to decide on an "industry standard" method
for delivering the data.  The WISPA CALEA Standard does this.

2. It places requirements on LEA for proving to a judge the need for
the data.  This means that there are limits to the types of data, as
well as the volume of the data that an LEA can get.

3. Because of number 2, it protects the consumer.  LEA cannot
"willy-nilly" ask for data captures or records from an ISP just
because they want to go on a witch hunt.  They must provide
information to the judge that tells that judge specifically what
they are looking for.

If you come into this discussion with the notion that CALEA is about
forcing ISPs to do anything, then you are looking at it in the wrong
way.

>If a bad guy is hiding behind your network, being a good corporate
>citizen of this nation, it is your duty to help law enforcement do
>their job.

This was not something that came along just with CALEA.  It's ALWAYS
been that way.  I've been in this industry long enough to have
fulfilled MANY subpoena requests.

>Telcos did not like CALEA any more than the ISPs.  Actually, the
>FBI and CALEA vendors are the only ones that liked CALEA.

There are politics and a LOT of money to back this statement up.
There are a handful of (former) FCC employees that are very wealthy
as a result of the CALEA laws being applied to data networks.  I
won't go further into this, because it just raises my blood
pressure.

*Butch Evans                    *Professional Network Consultation *
*Network Engineering            *MikroTik RouterOS                 *
*573-276-2879                   *ImageStream                       *
*http://www.butchevans.com/     *StarOS and MORE                   *
*http://blog.butchevans.com/    *Wired or wireless Networks        *
*Mikrotik Certified Consultant  *Professional Technical Trainer    *