  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Travis Johnson
  Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 11:15 PM
  To: WISPA General List
  Subject: Re: [WISPA] Bandwidth Shaping (WAS Article)

  Rick,

  Just for what it's worth, we are seeing an increase in overall usage as
well. We have been in the ISP business since 1994. It was only about a year
ago that we went over 100Mbps of incoming traffic during peak time... and
just today, we peaked at 176Mbps. So in a year's time we increased by 75%
the amount of bandwidth usage by our customers. Of course we added new
customers, etc. but that was at the same rate we have been adding customers
for 5+ years.

  Solution? There isn't a good one. I remember people saying things like "I
just leave my customers wide open because then they will use what they need
and then get off, so they are online less" and stuff like that. Those days
are long gone. If you give people a 5Mbps connection, they will use 5Mbps.
And now, rather than just doing what they were doing, they will just start
more downloads or movies or TV because they can.

  Travis
  Microserv

  RickG wrote:
I have WRAP boards on all towers that provide limited bandwidth
shaping. I just recently installed a Mikrotik firewall (and love it).
It's shaping and rules cover all customers. As far as bandwidth hits,
the previous owner oversold and overmarketed the amount of bandwidth
in order to gain subscribers (i.e. premium 3Mbps accounts when he only
had 3Mbps). Since bandwidth is very expensive and difficult to get
here, this has led to a sluggish network that I am having difficulty
resolving. Therefore, the customers have been complaining. The good
news is that after getting very creative, I have overturned some new
options but the cost is still a strain on the budget. My biggest
frustration is the never ending question: What will it take? It
appears that more and more people want constant multi-megabit speeds
on demand for less than $50/month. The oversubscription rate on a
$600/month T1 no longer provides for a valid business model. Heck, my
$500/month 5Mbps connection form Time Warner became quickly saturated
once I put it in. I expect my new 11Mbps connection for $600 will do
the same. The interesting part is that I continue to get pressure for
faster speed plans therefore pressure to make the same mistake my
predecessor made - offer plans with speeds that max out my capacity.
-RickG