Well Brad,

I never said Bridgewave didn't have a viable market. Nor that Bridgewave
wasn;t a good decission for your application.
When someone actually needs a GB, its a heck of a good deal.
I can give an example of a WISP that has a cell tower, that agregates
300mbps licensed links, but needs to get 1/2 mile down the street to the
carrier hotel.
They need that GB to get to the carrier hotel. And they didn't sweat the
price.
My point is that, that market is not the common high volume market. Its a
niche market.
Obviously they are happy with their niche  market currently, or they would
have lowered their prices.

I will tell you that, there will be a 80Ghz equipment manufacturer that
wants the service provider typical market. And when they come, The radios
won't cost $30k.  They'll cost sub $5000.

My point was Bridgewave's price break for models was from 100mb jump to 1
gb. When someone saturates 100mb, they don't instantly need 1 gb, 10x the
capacity. There is no middle ground with Bridgewave. Thus, my comment of
paying for broadband that they don't need.

As far as Bridgewave with backup link? Well thats two antennas. Dragonwave
with 4 links is also 2 antenna, because they use pol diversity to share the
antennas.
Ironically, per mbps, 4 dragonwave links cost just about the same a the 1Gb
Bridgewave, the only difference is that the Dragonwave can be converted into
a half capacity redundant link, if one of the radios fails.

Don't get me wrong, its not ideal. Nor guaranteed spectrum channels will be
available.  But it allows growth, in 300mbps increments, as a WISP needs it.

Plus with a 2 link Apex (1 antenna per side shared) 700mbps, its still 40%
less costly than Bridgewave's GB 2ft link. And there is redundancy,
(although not real time switch over), and no longer a limit in distance. No
longer a risk, trying to keep the 1 degree beamwidth aligned.

The market potential of the Apex is so much greater than that of the
Bridgewave, looking for that tiny market segment that is less than a mile
away, and needs the full 1GB.  Bridgewave is loosing huge market share, for
no reason.

The fact is an 80Ghz 2ft dish radio, is capable of being sold at only $1000
more than its counter part capable of half mile at 60Ghz and 1 ft dish, that
now sells for $11,000, at equivellent profit margin, if they wanted to. But
they chose to try and charge $20k more, for something that has no cost.  I
do not beleive most service providers are paying it. I beleive Bridgewave
instead just looses market share. But I guess I do not really know that. It
would be interesting to know what percentage of Bridgewave radios sold are
the $11k radios versus the $30k radios.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband