I have not compared them... but I have heard some big operators talk about problems with Cogent in the past. I just know that Level3 is very well connected (based on BGP sessions I have brought up).

I'm not sure there is a way to determine "the best" provider out there. It's all a relative thing depending on your traffic type, flow, and if you are connected with anyone else.

Travis

George Rogato wrote:
Have you compared them Travis?
I would appreciate real world opinion. Reason is, our upstream on our
last contract had us riding Level3 and when we renegotiated, we found
ourselves riding cogent.

I'm not so sure Level3 is much better. I can recall trace routing stuff
and finding myself hoping from here in Oregon to Chicago and then to San
Jose.

I was thinking Portland to San Jose has to be easy to do, but thats not
the route they take. I realize things change, and I have no problem pay
12.00 for good bandwidth, I'm paying more now under my current contract.

Guess what I would like to know is where to find the ratings of who is
the best, I used to hear Sprint was quality, but that was just a few
opinions.

Travis Johnson wrote:

I have a quote from Level3 for $12.50 per meg.... and it's 10x the
bandwidth that Cogent is... ;)

Travis
Microserv

George Rogato wrote:

Kinda high
If you are lucky and you have access to fiber consider this

Cogent, if you buy a GigE port and commit to 200 megs, you can have it
for $5.00 per meg, or minimum of $1,000.00 per month and that comes with
a whopping 200 megs, if you need to exceed 200 megs, it's just $5.00 per
meg.

If you get to $4,000 per month usage, then the price drops to $4.00 per meg.

George

Blair Davis wrote:

Some simple numbers...

$1700/month for 10Mbits.  Much better than the $600 per 1.54Mbit I was
paying out here.

1Mbit per Netflix or IPTV user.

$170 cost of bandwidth per user.

Users out here are not going to pay that.  Period.

The problem, out in the rural areas at least, is not delivering the
bandwidth, it is getting it at a reasonable cost.

These apps use an order of magnitude more bandwidth than the standard
web browsing and email apps we are used to.  But the users don't and
won't understand that.

If you went to buy a new TV and it used an order of magnitude more power
to run it, your electric bill would soon show you the error of your ways.

The only real solution to this problem is to move to per bit pricing.
That way, users will see the cost of what they are doing and adjust
their usage to what they are willing to pay for.

Netflix, IPTV and other apps like them simply shift the their cost of
doing business to us.  Unless we either refuse to support these apps, or
begin billing our users for them, it will kill us.

The cable and dsl providers are starting to figure this out.

Blair

Tom DeReggi wrote:

Why is the wireless world happy with being 10 years behind the wired
world?

Depends who you are referring by stating "wireless world".

The WISP providers are surely NOT "happy" with that.  They are just
realistic about what they have available.
And they are creative enough to understand that there are still markets
willing to deal with that, because WISPs have other things to offer of equal
or greater value, to creat a WISP market.

I'm also not sure the public is "happy" with that. I haven't heard one
public advocate at Broadband public meetings advocating "Please give money
to wireless companies so we can have slower service".  Wireless will be a
part of Stimulus grants because... We can argue we'll get you service
sooner, and we'll stretch the dollar further to serve more areas and people,
so less people get left without being served, and more people get better
service than they currently have. In the long run, with Wireless, consumers
will have to compromise for less, in exchange for the instant gratification
that can be gained today.

WISPs deal with it because comparatively they are either broke, lazy, or
impatient, in order to meet demand. Or I should say, don't want to end up
broke.
I'm not meaning to be derogatory in using those terms. What I mean is...

Sure we'd all like to lay fiber.  We just don't want to wait 20 years for an
ROI (impatient :-). We don't have millions and billions of Finance capabilty
upfront (broke :-).
We don't want to spend years trying to get permits and negotiating easements
with entities that care less about advancing our cause quickly (lazy :-).
The truth is Monopolies are willing to do all these things.  But they also
grudgingly backout of their committments and delay as long as possible,
because honestly they don't want to do it either, and are even more lazy,
and clearly have all the time in the world, without competition forcing them
to work harder.

The truth is, Wireless providers DO NEED faster equipment.  And the Truth
is, we really aren't "lazy". (I was just kidding before :-)

So.... WiMax vendors,  Make us faster equipment!!! That we can Afford
today!!!

There is a lot of grant money comming up this year. Here is your chance for
volume orders, from the WISP market. Give us a reason to stay wireless
providers and not to become a fiber provider. Backhaul transport providers
are doing their part. But I think last mile manufacturers still have to do a
better job. But more importantly give grant Decission makers a reason to
favor wireless. Give them speeds that public advocates will be excited
about. And give us price points that will let us do microcells to accomplish
top penetration.  Wimax isn;t competing against wifi anymore, they are
competing against fiber. I admit, Its a tall order to fill.  But I think
clever innovators should be able to fill it.

$7 billion is not a lot to come anywhere close to helping "All" Americans
get next generation broadband.  But $7 billion is a hech of a lot of money
to inject into an ISP manufacturer industry. Lets just say $1 billion of it
would go to Wireless infrastructure. Thats a lot of gear.  Lets start
getting creative with those volume order low price offers? How low can you
go to get a peice of that $billion?

Manufacturers, Let us know! The industry is writing their grant proposals
now.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband