Inline

Mark Nash wrote:
> I'd like to hear opinions on what Micropops do to your business.
>
> 1. How many customers do you look for before you install even the least
> expensive MPoP?

1 if they will pay for the equipment.
2 or more if they will share it
0 if I think the potential is there to make the cost of the equipment
back in 6 months to 1 year.
> 2. I've always been of the opinion that having many small MPoPs devalues my
> business to a prospective buyer.

Why?
Why does it matter?
I am in business to provide a service to my customers and make money.
If a prospective buyer doesn't want the mPOPs, he must not have the same
goals and is therefore looking at the wrong business to purchase.
> 3. I've always thought that having many small MPoPs is a problem for tech
> support (we have 700 customers and 3 techs...not everyone knows what each
> installation looks like or how it's connected necessarily).

Well, with 300+ and just me, that is not a problem. However, good design
and better documentation is the key.  Someone else mentioned pictures.
That helps a bunch if the tech can get to them when he needs them.
> I think this is good discussion...
>
> Just because you CAN do it, SHOULD you do it.
>
> Depends on a few factors...
>
> 1. Do I need/want to make money any which way I can?

Pretty much, but for me there is also the goal of providing a service to
my customers that they can not get otherwise.
> 2. How much do I put into a MPoP (battery backup vs. power outage & no
> access to AP if its host is on vacation)

That depends.  I make the "secondary" customers sign a waiver that
states if the mPOP is down and we can not get to the cause, tough luck.

--
Scott Reed
Sr. Systems Engineer