On Nov 7, 2009, at 2:25 PM, RickG wrote:

> In the past, l worked for two electric companies. Their business
> models were
> dependant on meters. As far as internet access, Compuserve and AOL
> had the
> right idea from the start. Instead entrepanuers took advantage of
> their
> weakness at the time. What we are now seeing is the downside of the
> $50/month "all you can eat" business model. When usage was low due
> to less
> apps, it worked fine but were now seeing exponential growth of usage.
> Besides that, one thing we (ISP's) are really missing, are agreements
> between each other for payment of access to our networks. For
> instance, the
> phone companies pay each other for access to each others networks. I
> realize
> this is very complex but shouldnt Netflix (or their provider) pay us
> for
> utilziation of our networks?

I do not see why they (Netflix) should, no. The consumer is already
paying you for it. Netflix is not another ISP. It's a "phone call". My
phone company does not charge my local hardware store for calling them
if they are with a different phone company any more than it charges my
mom when I call her back in Minnesota (I live in New York). My *mom's*
phone company might charge her for the the call, depending on the
plan, but that's about as far as it goes.

The provider idea could bite us hard.

Note that originally the settlement fees were demanded by the
established phone companies to mild the upstart cell companies for
revenues. They weren't smart when they started those agreements and it
came back to bite them later when CLECs exploited the ideas in novel
ways with the advent of the Internet where you could guarantee certain
incoming-only calls. But they aren't going to be so stupid as to not
think of those loop holes a second time ;-).

Chuck

> -RickG
>
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Eric Rogers
> <ecrog...@precisionds.com>wrote:
>
>> I do agree with you and that works if there are other options.  One
>> customer who was downloading 160G, came from DSL and moved into this
>> neighborhood and now wants high speed where we are the only
>> option.  It
>> is only a matter of time before others are using Netflix and others.
>> They come in all gaming consoles now.  Why not have the customers pay
>> for upgrades?  If there is a high demand for services, the demand
>> drives
>> growth; or fees stifle demand.
>>
>> Maybe my logic is flawed, but if 5% of the customer base is straining
>> the network, shouldn't they pay more?
>>
>> Eric

--------------
Chuck Bartosch
Clarity Connect, Inc.
200 Pleasant Grove Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 257-8268

"When the stars threw down their spears,
and water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile, His work to see?
Did He who made the Lamb make thee?"

 From William Blake's Tiger!, Tiger!