At 8/3/2010 09:03 PM, Jack Unger wrote:
>Fred,
>
>Many WISPs throttle throughput according to the terms of the
>contracted service that each customer purchases. For example, if a
>WISP sells 1 Mb down and 512k up then they limit throughput to
>somewhere near those levels. Under those conditions, a customer can
>have a file or web server and it does not adversely affect the
>overall WISP network performance.

Sure it does.  Last week's discussion confirmed that the average ISP
retail residential customer generates a load of about 50-100 kbps.  A
lot higher when "using" it, near zero at other times.  But a file
server can pump an Mbps or more all day and night.  The whole trick
to low residential pricing is a high oversubscription ratio, and this
is especially true with wireless.

>This level of throughput management should come under the
>"reasonable network management" definition that service providers
>are allowed to perform. This throttling is also
>application-independent so no selective throttling by application is
>needed. Finally, the throttling is implemented in routing tables
>full time and once programmed, it requires no human interaction.

"Reasonable" is a "rule of man", not "rule of law"
construct.  Blocking the pirate CDN was not considered "reasonable"
when it was not done by an ILEC.  I would rather allow ISPs to do as
they please, at risk of displeasing their customers, rather than
follow rules designed to please a cheapskate pR0n distributor.  And
banning servers is a good way to keep the average load and thus the
cost and price down.