From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Rubens Kuhl
Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 3:51 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Full BGP on RouterOS

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Tom DeReggi <wirelessn...@rapiddsl.net>
wrote:
> Note: Quagga has been very reliable for quite some time now. Imagestream
and
> Vyatta both use Quagga. Both are great choices for BGP routers.

Although it's a different scenario, the IXP folks beg to differ about
Quagga reliability. When the number of peers is high, it flops
miserably. Some of them moved to OpenBGPd, some of them to BIRD
(http://bird.network.cz). None of them moved to XORP, Mikrotik's
choice (and Vyatta's prior to switching to Quagga).

If one have time, he or she should test all of the above... with
limited time, I would favor testing BIRD first.

> I personally use Mandrake (Mandriva) Linux with a slew of custom
> modifications that we have made, loaded on SuperMicro, and then use latest
> Quagga.
> That has worked well for us, the last 5 years. (although, I dont recommend
> that to someone, until they are vastly familiar with their distro of
Linux.
> Last thing you want to do is use your BGP router for a Guinee Pig Science
> project, rebooting it all the time to test script changes.) But once you
are
> comfortable with your Distro, it works well.

And once you are comfortable with open-source border routing, you
might want to take it to the next level by using hardware-based
forwarding, with open-source software and gateware:
http://www.netfpga.org/

Rubens

----