Scott hit the nail on the head with a number points so I will not rehash them,
but I do agree you should integrate most of that info with your billing system
(PowerCode, if I'm not mistaken).

We've written scripts to integrate our billing system, Platypus, with all of
the back-end systems used in our daily operations. Other, less frequently
modified info such as MPLS VPN, IP & VLAN allocations, and device configuration
management remains outside of Plat.  Although we are looking at an external OSS
to deal with these things.

> Now let's consider replacing a backhaul goes down...
>
> - change the routing to go to use a backup backhaul (we're using manual
> re-routing, not autmatic)

Implement dynamic routing. It's worth it.

> - change the hierarchy in our monitoring system (we use Nagios "Parents" so
> that devices that are behind a "Down" device is not "Down" itself, just
> "Unreachable" - saves the inbox from getting blasted if a backhaul goes down
> - change the monitored IP address for the router at that site so we're
> monitoring an IP address that is going over the backup backhaul

Implement loopback addresses on each router and monitor those. If / when a link
goes down the dynamic routing protocol will re-route traffic over the other
backhaul and the loopback will still be reachable. Nagios won't blast you with
messages about the devices behind the parent being down, and you don't have to
change the monitored IP because you are always monitoring an IP which is
accessible over either backhaul.

You will still want to separately monitor the point-to-point IP's on each
backhaul to know when the link itself is down, but you would not establish a
parent -> child relationship with those monitored objects.

--
Blake Covarrubias