From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Lambert
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 8:06 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Systems Management - Process

On Fri, Nov 05, 2010 at 02:34:01PM -0700, Mark Nash wrote:
> This is lengthy, but worth discussion, I think...
>

> Unless there is a good process in place to ensure that these systems
> get updated when components on our networks are
> added/removed/replaced/changed.

That place is the billing system....

> For instance... A new customer is added to our network... Information
about that new customer goes into:

> - billing (several things here...email address verified, pro-rate
> amount added for first month, valid billing address, name spelled
> correctly, correct price, contract signed & stored, etc)
>
> - nagios (to monitor)

With the right information in billing, a bit of scripting will automagically
keep your Nagios configuration up to date.

> - IP documentation (so we don't duplicate IPs)

Keep this in the billing system.

> - equipment documentation (so we know what we're dealing with if we
> have to go out there again)

Keep this in the billing system where your techs can update as needed.

> - name the association on the AP so it's easily identifiable

You can probably script this from the billing system if it tracks the MAC
address of the customer's equipment.  Depends on your APs and such.

> Then if that customer cancels...
>
> - remove from billing

Mark the account inactive in billing.  Keep the data.  Database storage is
cheap these days.  That's probably what you meant...

> - remove from Nagios (so we stop monitoring)

This automagically happens when your script to automagically update Nagios
removes accounts which are marked as inactive.

> - remove from IP documentation (so we can re-use that IP)

Let the billing system mark the IP as inactive when the account is marked
inactive.

> - remove equipment documentation

Keep the documentation on the account notes.  They may come back.
Database storage is cheap these days.

> Or if that customer has to change towers on our network...

Update the billing system.

> - change monitored IP address

Automagically happens on the next Nagios configuration generation run.

> - change IP documentation (so we can re-use the old IP)

Do this through the billing system.

> - change equipment documentation (if necessary)

This is part of updating the billing system, which the on-site tech should
do before leaving the customer's site.  Updating the billing system while
on-site ensures the Tech actually tested the connection by using it.

> - name the association on the new AP so it's easily identifiable

Hopefully you can script this from the billing system.

> Now let's consider replacing a backhaul goes down...
>
> - change the routing to go to use a backup backhaul (we're using
> manual re-routing, not autmatic)

Dynamic routing.  Manual, ick.

> - change the hierarchy in our monitoring system (we use Nagios
> "Parents" so that devices that are behind a "Down" device is not
> "Down" itself, just "Unreachable" - saves the inbox from getting
> blasted if a backhaul goes down

If there are multiple paths, you can use multiple parents in Nagios.
Nagios should do the right thing.  We don't use the multiple parents
option because it screws up the Map.   But if the primary path goes
down, the hosts which are still reachable stay up in Nagios.

> - change the monitored IP address for the router at that site so we're
> monitoring an IP address that is going over the backup backhaul

You can create hosts in Nagios for each interface on a router if you want.
Then you know when your backup path goes down before the primary dies.

> Then you get it back up and you have to change these things back.
>
> My point of all of this is that there are a TON of details to take
> care of, and if you try to grow fast you need systems and protocol in
> place to deal with all of this information.  Things get forgotten
> about, and your system can be a mess before you know it.

If it's not automatic, it won't get done accurately.  If there are multiple
locations for storing information about your customers and the
configuration, they will get out of sync.

I've worked at three ISPs.  The one which invested in the billing system
which could track everything about a customer and provisioned everything
from the billing system had the fewest customer service complaints.

The other two spend many many extra man-hours tracking down documentation
inconsistencies each year.

I'm a firm believer in what the billing system says is how the hardware is
configured.  It also ensures that there is less left over cruft when a
customer leaves.  You're not accidentally still hosting their DNS two years
after they stop paying you.

> We have used the method of using checklists for client changes (new
> customer, repair order, disconnect).
>
> We're just now getting into cleaning up our systems & documentation on
> infrastructure components (routers & backhauls & APs - OH MY!!!).  We
> have alot of information about the initial deployment of
> infrastructure equipment, but as changes have happened, we have not
> kept up with it.
>
> So we're looking at expanding upon our checklists for when
> infrastructure components are deployed/changed/removed.  We think this
> will help the chaos.

Codify it all in the billing system.

lamb...@lambertfam.org

----