On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Tom DeReggi <wirelessn...@rapiddsl.net> wrote:
> Any discussion on best way to combine the two links from the DATA FLOW
> perspective or TCIP/IP perspective?
> The average Mikrotik Loadbalancer may not handle that 800mbps link all that
> well.
>
> Are people using Switch level trunk aggregation, or layer3 aggregation
> methods? OR just running two seperate logical link, and putting different
> traffic on different routers/links?
>
> There can be issues with combining at LAyer2, because often two wireless
> links dont operate at exactly teh same speed due to slightly different link
> qualities (packetloss) or SNRs.
>
> I'm assuming most would want to use a session bases method that would
> dynamically assign a specific session to a single link, which would require
> a high layer load balancing option.
>
> We are familiar with most of the load balancing methods, jsut wondering what
> others are choosing for combining two licensed 300-400mb links, and which
> hardware (switch or router) they are using to accomplish it.

At first, used 2 Cisco 3750 doing etherchannel. They can
L2-loadbalance using L3 parameters (src-dst-ip pair) which worked fine
until MPLS was deployed, with a side effect of breaking the
loadbalancing effect. It started working again when replaced with
Cisco ME6524, which can L2-balance with L4 information and MPLS labels
to a smooth session-based balancing with up to 8 links. Even without
the MPLS license, which is the expensive part, my guess is that ME6524
can L2-balance with L4 information and could be an option to such a
job.

And after seeing Mikrotik RB450G load-balancing 200 Mbps with session
persistance without issues, I would consider an RB-1000 to
load-balance 2 links...

Rubens