At 3/29/2011 11:15 PM, RickG wrote:
Fred, I respectfully disagree.

I'm glad to see that we have a good discussion going here, and it's not a flamefest or anything.

First off, applications being run on my network ARE my business. Many apps can have detrimental effect on it and therefore I have a right and responsibility to say what can run on it.

Let's set that aside for a moment...

Secondly, priority bits simply cost more to provide and tax the network more than non-priority. Everyone expects their high priority apps (video/voice) to be first in line without delays and that's really what all the fuss is about.

I entirely agree. My original note, if you look carefully, said that priority and other higher-than-BE QoS *should* cost extra. Lack of a good charging model is one reason why we have a big BE Internet and not much else. But I'd like to see one.

BTW, entertainment video is much more tolerant than voice. It can use retransmission and buffering, or find other strategies to cope. Real-time video (telepresence) is the bear.

Meanwhile, we have been focusing on raw usage but that is only a part of the equation. Just billing for monthly overages does not consider daily peak usage times.

I don't object to time-of-day pricing either. One rough example: "Usage midnight to six, not counted. Usage 6AM to 9AM, counted half."

In fact, in questioning many customers, they would be happy to pay a premium for a high-priority, low latency connection for certain apps. Heck, I can even see premiums for usage based on the time of day but that may be pushing it. This may sound extreme but everyone laughed at me back in 1997 when I bought an Allot box for UBB. BTW:While economic optimization is good, network optimization is better. Over the years, I've seen fast networks and slow networks, I'd pay more any day to be on a fast network.

Sure. But if your network is capacity-constrained, or the cost of capacity is particularly high somewhere, then you have to make do with what you have. Which is why you care what apps are run.

I am one of those old-timers who thinks that the Computer II decision was one of the smartest moves the FCC ever made. It literally made the ISP industry possible, and its revocation in 2005 directly created the "network neutrality" kerfuffle. CI II banned LECs from dealing in the upper layers; any "enhanced" services had to be on a fully separated basis. So it was literally against the law for the telco to ask what the application (in the "layer 7" sense) was. But it could certainly offer services with optional QoS features that were optimized for different applications. So it might offer a CBR service (voice-optimized) and a BE (UBR) service (Internet-optimized). But if somebody ran voice over a BE service, that was their own issue, not the telco's.

On the other hand, the ISP is explicitly not a common carrier, and thus has the right to be more specific. ISPs are above that boundary, not below. So sure, as an ISP, you should have the right to sell "applications". There is no bright line between ISP and ASP, or between ISP and time-sharing service. (That ancient business has been revived under the moniker "cloud".) So sure, you can do DPI if you want, provided that you do it in a way that respects customer privacy. Note that I do not think that DPI should go all the way in to the payload, as some systems do, or ferret out "value" from transactions, etc., as some vendors propose. I call that "wiretapping".

However, I'll quote R. Milhouse Nixon here and suggest that in most cases, you can do it, "but it would be wrong". The reason is that the value proposition that customers want from the Internet is one of flexibility and openness. They probably don't want their "ISP" to be a mail-and-web service, although that's what Blackberries usually get (in exchange for unmetered usage of those applications). While I am not one who believes that "all innovation happens at the edge", I don't want edge innovations to be blocked in the middle.

So the best compromise I can see is to price one's menu of services in a manner that reflects cost, with some averaging to make it more palatable. And then you can ignore what people do with the bits they buy. They will have incentives to behave economically.

I'm also an advocate of widespread encryption, and am doing my part to make encryption of user traffic the rule, rather than the exception, over the next few years. (See the Pouzin Society stuff for more details.) That will utterly break DPI. But it will work with explicit QoS options, so there is no excuse that the network will have to snoop the application in order to know what QoS to deliver (the IMS approach).