My .02

It's not illegal until a court, or law enforcement agency presents paperwork
it is.  It is not up to the ISP to be the Police.  To me that¹s a loosing
scenario to determine what is lawful and what is not.  Let the experts
determine that.

My response to these is something along these lines:

"Thank you for contacting us. We would be glad to cooperate with any
official legal request. Please have your attorneys forward all appropriate
paperwork to <Insert Law Firm contact info here>.

If you want to take the extra step throw in there you charge an
administrative fee for providing any information on this customer. After
legal paperwork has been cleared by your attorney of course.  After all, you
are helping these people (most of these are from law firms seeking a bounty)
make money themselves.

The only way I would turn over any sort of customer info is due to a
subpoena or other such legal document.  Lessens your exposure for lawsuits
from the customers based upon privacy concerns.

Justin

--
Justin Wilson <j...@mtin.net>
Aol & Yahoo IM: j2sw