Trango is a great company and it has always been pleasurable working with
them (sales, tech support, management etc.).  I always like to start on a
positive note.

One thing really upset me though....  fairly recently and once a year ago
same thing happened.

Twice, I had an APEX die within its three year warranty window.  Out of the
10 I own, thats a 20% failure rate within warranty period.  Now I
undersatnd that Trango will insist that they cannot be responsible for a
radio that got hit by lightning, and I agree with that philosophy, for the
most part.

I send in both APEX radios, and was told each time that the issue was
lightning damage.  Nevermid the fact that there was weeks of no lightning
prior to them both just stop working in the middle of the day on nice clear
days.  Then I was shown pics of burnt PC boards and components.  Sure did
work great with that stuff toasted for a few weeks since the last lightning
storm - is what I am thinking to myself...  impossible.

They still maintain it was lightning and won't budge...  $600 to repair
radio which is a good deal considering what was replaced is what I was
told.  Here's the bad deal....  Both these APEX radios that supposedly had
"lightning damage" sit about 150ft up on 500ft towers, have shielded
ethernet runs of less than 15ft to a stainless steel enclosure with all the
high tech surge, EMI, etc protection possible.  Amazing the Mikrotik
radios, the Ubiquiti radios, the SAF radios etc all have no problem.
Everyone on this list who owns RB411 Mikrotik radios knows they are the
first out of the game with lightning anywhere close - thats fine too
because they cost $40.  What nobody on this list should be able to explain
is how on a clear blue day, an APEX unit ceases to work due to lightning
when its bolted to the 150ft height of a 500ft tower, grounded great, short
shielded cat5 run (15ft) to box on tower with filtered / conditioned 120v
AC that its plugged into, along with multiple other Mikrotik and Ubiquiti
radios that continued to run fine both before and after the suspected
lightning event (which never happened).  It costs about $3000 for that
individual radio it should have been $2960 more durable than the Mikrotik
or Ubiquiti next to it that survived, regardless of any other details.
Period.

So, I'm not going to go through all the SAF / Trango advantages and
disadvantages but I'll leave you with this....

SAF / 5 year warranty - never had to test.   Trango 3yr, tested twice, paid
$1200 to fix them twice and another $800 in overnight shipping - all while
under warranty.

And there never was lightning involved in the events.  I've never had a
lightning problem in 10 years with equipment located 300ft or more down
from the top of a guyed tower with a <20ft shielded cable run.  ever.
regardless of what anyone claims in the rma department.  my 2 cents.

Why I spent the time to share my experience...  because that $2000 came out
of my pocket to fix those two radios under some kind of 3 year conditional
warranty and it burns me up that I was told twice it was lightning when it
wasn't.  Sorry Trango.  I'm not over it yet, not even from last years
issue, not to mention this years.  I'll have a ways to go before I let go
of this.

Trango had two opportunities to flex on this (their $600 repair charge) and
chose not to.  I paid about $1500 or more for each link than others reading
this did.  I feel they should have been more flexible.  Sorry.

Scott Carullo
Technical Operations
855-FLSPEED x102