On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 08:04:18PM -0600, Mike Hammett wrote:
> I've been using both MT and UBNT for many many years and I plan to
> use them both for many years. MT support has been almost completely
> absent, while UBNT typically answers fairly quickly. That said,
> usually when I notice a problem with my MT product, it's already been
> fixed in a newer release.

MT support in their forum is hit and miss.  I get timely responses
from supp...@mikrotik.com.  I don't understand the people who
complain on the forums that MT support is horrible and refuse to
e-mail supp...@mikrotik.com.  I am not saying that Mike is one of
those guys.  I don't know if his statement is based on experience
with supp...@mikrotik.com or not.

The east europe/western asia folks just seem to have a bit of a
different take on things than we in North America do.  I think
that's just due to the culture and language differences.  They tend
to come off as being a bit brusk to us.

I don't trust any newly shipping product in a production environment.
They go into designated test environments.  The Edge Router may be
the best thing since sliced bread.  However, the devices I've used
the Quagga stack on have let me down more than the MikroTik routing
stack.  Of course, most of those Quagga devices were StarOS which
had its own problems.  Thankfully, we have completed our 100% StarOS
to 100% UBNT AP/backhaul radios with MikroTik routers transition.

When I get an Edge Router, I will play with it on the desk.  Then
it will be put a nearby but small tower site.  If it behaves, I'll
put one on a non-leaf node tower.  I'm not in a hurry to get my
first EdgeRouter.

Until then, I really like my 493Gs running 5.21.  We have not run
any production MikroTik wireless gear.  We just haven't.  We picked
up some Ubiquiti gear first.  No other reason.

I have 6.0rc6 on the MikroTik in the house.  It has wireless.  It
works for my personal devices.  I wouldn't consider using RouterOS
6 on customer use gear, yet.  Not even when they are calling it the
6th release candidate.  It's not a release candidate if you are
still adding new features.  If you are still adding new features,
it is an alpha release...

I have a couple of RB2011UAS units on the bench.  They aren't in
the field for the same reason I would not rush to put the EdgeRouter
in the field.

UBNT and MikroTik both have software QA issues.  At this price
point, we get to be the alpha/beta testers.  C'est la vie.

lamb...@lambertfam.org