Manuel Gonzlez Noriega wrote in Semantic vs Accessibile markup:

Myself, i really like the idea of secondary nav as <dd> of the primary
nav 'dt' term, although i've never really played with it yet.

This is something I've been musing on since deciding that standards compliance was a good thing..

It seems that many people adhere to the 'letter of the law' - ie. 'it validates' - without adhering to what I believe is the spirit of the standards..

Take the above example (and I mean this in no way to be derogatory, Manuel, just food for thought):

Given that DT's and DD's have a very specific intended use (defining terms), I believe it a little unreasonable to use them for anything but formatting definitions.

There are other ways to format navigation elements that seem more inline with the way these tags are intended to be used, so why use something that is most definitely not intended to do so?

Would you use a <code> tag to format your navigation?