Hi Ben,

There are two points of view about definition lists - one is a rigid
definition of definition lists (pardon the pun) and the other is more open.
The second point of view is actually supported by the W3C spec. This has
been discussed/argued about numerous times on the list. Rather than bring it
all up again, it might be easier to check our this article explaining both
points of view - and some options:
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/definition/

By "spirit of the Standards"  do you mean focussing on semantically correct
markup as well as valid markup?

If so, I agree completely. However, semantically correct markup is an
inexact science. There is often a good argument for using more than one HTML
elements for any given purpose. Some people argue heatedly about a
particular option but the reality is that there may be no definitively
correct option, there may be a range of acceptable options - and each option
may work better in different circumstances.

The main aim is to avoid using obviously incorrect html elements to do the
job. For example, marking up a <div> to look like a heading or using
blockquotes/definition lists simply to indenting content. These will give
your content incorrect meaning in many devices.

Some good ways to check if your code has meaning for more than just the
modern browsers:
1. load up your page without style sheets
2. check your page in Lynx or some other text-based browser
3. listen to your page on a screen reader

Russ