A note on complaints about the WSG list.

First of all, we are happy to hear your complaints, suggestions and
feedback. We try to take all feedback on-board, and address all criticisms
where possible.

However, sometimes there is no happy middle ground. For example, almost all
the complaints we receive are about three things:
1. too much traffic on the list
2. we are not strict enough and there are too many off-topic posts
3. the digest mode sucks

We get most of our 'too much traffic' complaints in heavy post days. On
extremely heavy days we sometimes get people unsubscribe from the list
altogether.

Occasionally, we receive the opposite sort of complaint - that we are too
strict and there is not enough flexibility for off-topic posts.

As you can see, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. I am not
telling you this to gain your sympathy - but to let you know that while you
may feel a topic is relevant or not relevant, there may be many people on
the list who feel the opposite.

So, when Peter and I (or any of the core members) close a thread, we are
trying to do it in the best interests of the whole group - not because we
are on a power trip.

The discussion about "is a degree necessary?" brought to our attention an
interesting problem. The subject was off topic (academic achievement rather
than web standards) but it was clearly interesting to a number of members.
We closed the thread, but this obviously upset a few members.

>From now on, partially off-topic posts or threads that are of interest to
members (judged by number of responses how interesting it is to members)
will be moved to the discussion room rather than closed.

If you haven't looked yet, it might be worth a read of the mail list
guidelines. As Pirate Captain Barbossa said "They're not rules, more like
guidelines really":
http://webstandardsgroup.org/mail/guidelines.cfm

If we close a thread or move a thread to the discussion room and you think
it was a bad move, please donšt post your comments to the list - as this
just adds to the traffic. Instead tell Peter and I off-list
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) and we will try to address your concerns where possible.

Thanks
Russ