Lachlan Hunt wrote:
Ian Anderson wrote:
Lachlan Hunt wrote:

I think generalisations like "users hate popup windows" are perhaps a little unhelpful.

But the statement is 100% accurate. I, as a user, hate popups. I know of many others that hate popups too. I did not say "all users", just "users". Regardless of how many users that is, are you really willing to annoy them? Is it not safer to avoid using popup windows, considering that people that don't mind them won't be at all upset when they don't see them; but those that hate them, will be if they do?
It may be technically 100% accurate, but in that case so is the statement "users hate it when a new site opens in the current window and takes them away from the site they were viewing". It only takes 2 users to make this true. And these 2 users may also be annoyed :)

I am not a pop-up advocate, I think it's best to clearly identify external links but open them in the current window. I do, however, wonder about the number of users that actually know that they can override the browser and open a link in a new window. This is often put up in support of the no pop-up argument, but I find it hard to imagine that the average user (whatever that may be) knows about this feature. Any stats or studies you know of?