Dear Kevin

I'm a .net developer, working entirely in web standards and producing
semantically correct xhtml output from server side code. There is little
or no exra effort required to produce output on a web page (in ASP.NET -
a web form) that meets web standards. Your developer can output data to
the user interface using a Repeater control and item templates that you
can format for him. You don't need to develop composite controls for
this, although you can. In any event, if the output needs to be
formatted in a composite control then all well and good. This is just
extending the maintainability and reuse that both css in design and
object oriented code development (all .net is OO) promote. This concept
is tried and tested. The developer is essentially crossing boundaries
here. If he cannot accept the extra effort required to bring an .aspx
page into the design that you have produced, why not suggest that you
sit with him and iron out the bugs. I would even suggest that you
consider picking up the basics of aspx page development, not the code,
but the web controls that are available in .net and see if you can
suggest how you can work more closely on the output generated by the
server to ensure that he understands the benefits of a collaboration.

I'm in the fortunate (IMHO) position of working on both aspects of the
web application, so I understand the dichotomy that exists in this
scenario. Basically, a coder is mostly concerned with the complex wiring
of an application and is basically satisfied that the application runs
correctly, behaves according to the specification and handles errors
gracefully, whilst operating as efficiently as the server environment
allows. The designer is anxious to control the output to the user
interface and to ensure this meets the design brief. The two parties are
really working towards the same goal. They just start from opposite ends
of the process.

>From what you say, selling the concept of web standards to the developer
is not going to be the answer. Instead try to encourage him to work with
you and ask him to help you understand the issues he faces.

If you go to the meeting on Monday expecting a bloodbath, that is what
will happen irrespective of what attitude the developer brings to the
table. It will do neither you nor the developer any good if this
happens, and the cause of web standards will not have won any support. I
urge you to believe strongly enough in your arguments to not wield them
as a weapon.

Believe it or not, Microsoft, who get plenty of criticism (sometimes
justifiably) have made all the tools available to developers to build
standards compliant applications. The Developer Qualifiactions (MCAD,
MCSD and the new Microsoft .net exams) all promote web standards based
application development. If the developer has chosen to work with this
technology, encourage him to embrace the principles of good application
design.

I wish you all the very best with this.

If I can be of any help please contact me off list.

Peter Goddard