Been working on this site in the last 2 days, I find that I am getting so annoyed by the "surprise' everytime the hover pops up. There is no way to miss it everytime I move the cursor to the top.

Leaving aside considerations as to whether you should actually be bothering after the client has explicity requested it not be implemented, if you're looking for a more unobtrusive option, don't make the link display: block, just let the link text area be clickable. After all, with this method, you're not really expecting any mouse user to find it, so increasing the clickable area is a bit pointless. Also, don't change the background-color; just make the link text appear.

--
Tyssen Design
www.tyssendesign.com.au