On 08-May-08, at 2:33 PM, Designer wrote:

The WAI validator complains [...]

Do you have to build a WAI-validating site? If you don't have to, I would suggest ignoring that guideline, as it doesn't necessarily enhance accessibility for visitors. I would suggest using :focus to provide visual cues - most modern screen readers are able to differentiate between adjacent links without difficulty.

You can use a list as someone mentioned, you can also add a hidden character. [...]

@Mike: Adding extra characters just increases the auditory clutter that screenreader-users have to experience. While your method is a good one if WAI-valid is necessary, I must respectfully disagree with it on accessibility grounds :-).

Best,
 - Rahul.