On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 11:53 +1100, Luke Hoggett wrote:
> Hmm,
>
> strange that they could not write software that either:
> a) could be installed with out requiring root access, say a restricted
> user account specifically for this software
> or
> b) they can't provide you with instructions how to do it yourself.

By the sounds of things they are a spam list vendor so they need to be
beaten with a clue stick anyway.

There is only one person who gets any kind of shell access on my servers
- thats me.  Clients get restricted sftp if they really need it - and
can justify it to me.

If your client insists on getting something like this done, set them up
with a box from slicehost.com or a mediatemple.net DV server.  Then they
can give root access to the box and if they are spamming people the rest
of your clients don't their mail blacklisted too.  Best get the client
to sign up for the service so if they get booted they are the ones
liable for any charges.

If your client doesn't understand the implications of the request, then
you are probably best off without them.

Cheers

Dave