As a professional I would advise your client to run a mil from this supplier. There are plenty of ways to send email marketing safely, securely, intelligently and usefully, like Campaign Monitor, mailbuild, and other conscientious, responsible mailers.

There is nothing more sinister than buying a mailing list that requires root access.

Joe