On 18 December 2010 22:20, tee <weblis...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am finally to begin to stop supporting IE6 starts from 2011 as the usage
> has fallen below 5%. I don't want the IE6 users to see a broken page due to
> no special treatment made for the browser, rather, I would like them to see
> an un-styled page as if the style sheet has switch off.
>
> Can this be done?

Rather than a completely unstyled page I use a combination of
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200511/valid_downlevelrevealed_conditional_comments/and
http://code.google.com/p/universal-ie6-css/ (alternatively you could write a
basic stylesheet, setting your usual typefaces and colours but leaving
layout to the default - time box it to something like ten minutes' effort).

<!--[if ! lte IE 6]><!-->
link to normal css
<!--<![endif]-->
 <!--[if lte IE 6]>
link to IE6 css
<![endif]-->

That way it doesn't cost anything in good browsers; I'm not spending time on
IE6; but anyone stuck on IE6 (eg in a corporate environment) does get
something styled (a lot of people equate unstyled with broken).

Because I favour actively pushing IE6 out I do include a little message just
for IE6, respectfully suggesting the user should upgrade or ask their IT
people if an upgrade would be possible.

--
--- <http://weblog.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not