Is there a js file somewhere that would allow me to just insert the following
into my pages:

<!--[if lte IE 6]><!-->
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://cdn.domain.com/ie6.js";></script>
<!--<![endif]-->

It would then pop up a warning to the user (but only once per session) that
their browser was out of date, and give them links to more modern browsers -
like what Google does, but in a way that would allow me to just insert that
code and not have to worry about it. Also I think there would be value in
having the same warning shown to users across multiple sites - might help to
ram the message home a bit stronger :)

Like the OP I too want to have something other than just a broken page, but
considering the value that IE 6 users bring to my site I am not prepared to
spend more than a few minutes to cater for them.

Andy