Good points James. When I think about cross-browser compatibility, I try to
keep the following points in mind:

1 - Websites don't have to look the same in each browser. This doesn't mean
that you can ignore how pages render in browsers you don't care about; it means
that if Chrome displays rounded corners, and IE6 does not, this is still
acceptable, so long as it doesn't look wrong or broken to someone using IE6.

2 - To piggyback off 1, make the experience usable and consistent in each
browser. This is the short and sweet rule I try to live by when making CSS
decisions.

3 - There is no such thing as a compliant browser. Some browsers support
functionality that we are looking to begin using, but so long as browsers are
not designing to a universal standard, expect there to be rendering differences
and variety of support.

So I guess what I'm trying to communicate is that you should be designing for
the latest browsers, then implement override stylesheets for older browsers
such as IE6/7. So long as your presentation looks finished, consistent, and
usable in each browser individually, you're good to go. Don't let those old
browsers affect your core stylesheet(s).

Eric Taylor
< Elements Aside />
http://www.elementsaside.com