On 1/27/11 6:42 AM, Steve Green wrote:
That's exactly my point. At any point in time there will be projects
where you should use safe, well-understood, well-supported
technologies and there will be other projects where you can try out
new cutting-edge ones. When making this choice, you should put aside
your personal preferences and broader goals (such as 'improving the
web' or 'forcing users to upgrade their browsers') and base it on
what's most appropriate for your client.

Agreed. But I don't see a conflict with HTML5 here. Over half your
client's audience likely has a browser that has excellent support for
established HTML5 features.

I believe that many features of HTML5 save time and effort, leaving you
with perhaps one or two non-conforming browsers for which you have to
code and test JavaScript routines. I'm thinking of embedded video;
required form fields; even fancy slider controls--things like that.

HTML5 is indeed an ongoing project, far from complete. But there are
many useful features that are well established and can save a lot of
headaches. This is becoming even more true as the Web rapidly moves from
an era of point-and-click to one of tap-and-swipe...
--
Cordially,
David