From: Steve Green
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:56 AM
Subject: RE: [WSG] HTML5 v. HTML 4.x

In my view it depends on who you are and who is paying for the website
development. If you are building a website for yourself, by all means spend as
much time as you like learning about the new technologies and implementing them.

However, if you are building a website for someone else, you should obtain
their consent before spending more than is necessary to meet their needs. HTML4
and XHTML1.0 already meet most needs. At first it will take developers longer
to build sites using HTML5 because they are less familiar with it, and the
client should not have to pay for that if they are deriving no benefit. If you
think there may be some unquantifiable benefit in the future, ask the client if
they want to pay more now in order to reap that benefit.

I am all for the advancement of accessibility but I feel that a lot of
developers want to use these new technologies because they are cool and
interesting, not because they provide better value for their clients.

Steve