Maybe we have a different opinion of the path-of-least-resistance here.

If one is running without Hold Tx and dealing with CQ's it's not logical to
have to click that to prevent transmitting when your QSO partner comes back
with a late RRR or 73.  This seems to happen quite frequently.

If you are running with Hold Tx it's not a problem...but even then it's usually
too late in the cycle for your transmit to be any good anyways so why enable it
by default?  If you double-click them early for tail-ending you should have
plenty of time to click the button.
I operate about 50/50 between Hold Tx and not so when I get a late reply I
really never know what mode I'm in that quickly.

Of course, could be an option as just may depend on operating practice...but
adding more options has never been a popular solution.
Mike

    On Monday, October 15, 2018, 12:10:26 PM CDT, Bill Somerville
<g4...@classdesign.com> wrote:

 On 15/10/2018 17:59, Black Michael via wsjt-devel wrote:
> I never tailend a QSO that way...working them split is the way to go.

Hi Mike,

working split and tail-ending are orthogonal, in fact doing both should
be best practice for efficient tail-ending, isn't this a key reason why
we have the "Hold Tx Freq" on the main window rather than the inelegant
and inflexible "Tx=Rx" it replaced. I don't understand your comment
about repeats, repeats by the running station will be visible since
double-clicking them puts you on the other period. Repeats by a station
in QSO with the running station are fine, you simply fail to tail-end,
no different from tail-ending of phone or CW and you just have to wait
your turn again.