I tail-end a lot. I've gotten a lot of contacts that way without waiting
for a DX station to call CQ which they don't do a lot of times.  I always
make sure my xmt freq is clear before I start this.

I would like to see a single click populate the DX station field so I can
check QRZ before actually calling.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 1:24 PM Black Michael via wsjt-devel <
wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Maybe we have a different opinion of the path-of-least-resistance here.
>
> If one is running without Hold Tx and dealing with CQ's it's not logical
> to have to click that to prevent transmitting when your QSO partner comes
> back with a late RRR or 73.  This seems to happen quite frequently.
>
> If you are running with Hold Tx it's not a problem...but even then it's
> usually too late in the cycle for your transmit to be any good anyways so
> why enable it by default?  If you double-click them early for tail-ending
> you should have plenty of time to click the button.
>
> I operate about 50/50 between Hold Tx and not so when I get a late reply I
> really never know what mode I'm in that quickly.
>
> Of course, could be an option as just may depend on operating
> practice...but adding more options has never been a popular solution.
>
> Mike
>

> On Monday, October 15, 2018, 12:10:26 PM CDT, Bill Somerville <
> g4...@classdesign.com> wrote:
>

> On 15/10/2018 17:59, Black Michael via wsjt-devel wrote:
> > I never tailend a QSO that way...working them split is the way to go.
>
> Hi Mike,
>
> working split and tail-ending are orthogonal, in fact doing both should
> be best practice for efficient tail-ending, isn't this a key reason why
> we have the "Hold Tx Freq" on the main window rather than the inelegant
> and inflexible "Tx=Rx" it replaced. I don't understand your comment
> about repeats, repeats by the running station will be visible since
> double-clicking them puts you on the other period. Repeats by a station
> in QSO with the running station are fine, you simply fail to tail-end,
> no different from tail-ending of phone or CW and you just have to wait
> your turn again.
>

> 73
> Bill
> G4WJS.