My sincerest apology Dave !!!!!

No it was not directed at you !

I failed at multitasking here !

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave AA6YQ <aa...@ambersoft.com>
Sent: Tuesday, 30 June 2020 3:11 PM
To: 'WSJT software development' <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] Request for WSJT-X Feature

+ AA6YQ comments below

On the first point, we more or less agree. A development team can focus on many
things, true. The point Im trying to make here is that logging and weak-signal
processing are two very different functions, and don't belong in the same
application. If an exception is to be made here, yes, it should be loosely
coupled.

More disagreement is found in the second point. Yes, a UDP message defined by
the ADIF specification is an API. I do question if it's appropriate.

What I want is for the Ham Radio software generally: Let's catch up to modern
software practices, and perhaps even return to the position of innovating. At
some point, we seem to have lost that.

Perhaps Im wandering off the topic of the list. Im happy to continue the
discussion in email or some other public forum if appropriate.

+ Over the past 20 years, I've seen at least 3 "let's define a standard
+ set of APIs" efforts arise but quickly fizzle. Everyone is
happy to do it -- so long as their interfaces are the ones that get
standardized.

+ If you'd like to discuss this offline, I'm happy to do so.

          73,

                Dave, AA6YQ