> It seems like the required addition to the manifest is quite simple
(as per
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb773175(v=vs.85).aspx):

okay, I managed to get my application running with the right manifest
(and I'm even using mingw instead of VS). What I mentioned earlier was
correct, but I was missing a proper way to reference the manifest.

It turned out that the way I included manifest was not correct as my
.rc file had "1 RT_MANIFEST zbstudio.manifest" and it should have been
"1 24 zbstudio.manifest". After I added the correct reference (and
included <dependentAssembly> reference)  the manifest was recognized
and I could run my application using wxlua 2.8.12 DLLs and could see
the expected results.

Unfortunately, this doesn't really help me as I was hoping to
reference a DLL that is included with Windows, rather than ship mine,
but maybe this will help others...

Paul.