Here the answer I got from Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia on 02 Feb 2017.
I think we can be real pessimistic concerning X11 on macOS.

> [AF] A question about slow dialogues with OpenMotif and XQuartz (much slower
> than with Linux).
>
> [JHS] <jerem...@freedesktop.org>
> There is a known issue there, I believe with Yosemite and newer versions of
> macOS (maybe Mavericks+, maybe ElCap+, I forget exactly).  The issue is below
> us in CoreGraphics and won't really be fixed on Apple's side as doing so
> would fix this case but cause bad performance penalties for every single
> other case out there.  The real solution is to get XQuartz off of libXplugin
> and start using more modern macOS APIs (eg: finishing up libxcwm), but
> there's not really anyone actively working on that right now.
>
> [AF] Are you the only one involved in XQuartz developments ?
>
> [JHS] Yes, and I spend significantly less than 1% of my time on it ... barely
> enough to just pull in upstream changes, build, and ship.
>
> [AF] [...] but people are reluctant in using them on Macintoshes because of
> that problem of slowness.
>
> [JHS] If you're interested in working on the replacement, I can point you in
> the right direction.  It's maybe 60% done ... all by a group of college
> seniors at PSU.
>
> --Jeremy

Alain

> On 30 Aug 2018, at 22:30, Langer, Stephen A. (Fed) <stephen.lan...@nist.gov>
> wrote:
>
> xorg-server from MacPorts is more up to date.
> -- Steve
>
> On 8/30/18, 3:54 PM, "X11-users on behalf of Mick Mueck"
> <x11-users-bounces+stephen.langer=nist....@lists.apple.com
> <mailto:x11-users-bounces+stephen.langer=nist....@lists.apple.com> on behalf
> of mick.mu...@mac.com <mailto:mick.mu...@mac.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> I'm an XQuartz user and immensely glad I can run CAD software (Cadence
> Virtuoso) on a linux box and display all of it's X11 windows on my Mac. Very
> many years ago I put a bug into the XQuartz system that wasn't deemed to have
> a high priority, although it royally painful to me, and it's fix was never
> tackled. Basically, the cursor size on many of the windows in this CAD tools
> suite is about 4 times bigger than normal. When selecting menu items, I can't
> properly read what I'm selecting because of the cursor size, tool-tips are
> usually useless because the cursor obstructs most of it, editing a document
> (placing the cursor, selecting text) is painful because the I-beam is four
> lines high etc. Annoyingly, it's only with this Cadence software that the
> cursor bug occurs - pretty much every other X11 window I interact with has a
> cursor size that's just fine.
>
> Anyway, the version of XQuartz I'm using is 2.7.11 - I get it from
> xquartz.org
> <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fxquartz.org&data=02%7C01%7Cstephen.langer%40nist.gov%7Cbbac4693b49b49f0f8a108d60eb261d3%7C2ab5d82fd8fa4797a93e054655c61dec%7C1%7C0%7C636712556639582755&sdata=F%2Bmql2lyoRYEmeCrA3MiUlX52mpuLlZ1gVRzwkrg0j0%3D&reserved=0>
>  and it's just about 2 years old. I'm wondering if development has migrated
> to another place or is XQuartz is abandoned?
>

> Regards,
>
> Mick

> This email sent to fil...@ill.eu <mailto:fil...@ill.eu>
------
Dr. Alain Filhol  (Computer scientist)
Institut Laue-Langevin
EPN Campus, CS 20156, 71 ave des Martyrs, F-38042 Grenoble cedex 9
<fil...@ill.eu>, Office: ILL19-206
Tel:+33 4.76.20.71.56, Fax: +33 4.76.20.76.48