On Saturday January 04 2020 03:21:20 Ken Preslan wrote:

>There was a speed regression from 1.18 to 1.20.  It's still not nearly
>as fast as XQuartz was before Yosemite, though.

Thanks for giving me another reason not to upgrade beyond 10.9! I too do lots
of things under X11 because it typically isn't slower and usually reduces
memory overhead for some reason.

>At times, I wonder how hard it would be to change MacPorts' "vnc" port to
>start compiling the VNC/X11 server.  (Right now it only compiles the

You'd lose the rootless mode where X11 windows are mixed with native windows,
as well as multihead support, right?

There may be another approach. A few years back I asked Jeremy H. what he
thought of an interest for having Wayland on Mac. If I understood his answer
correctly it could also be an answer to the current X11 problems because it
should allow to run a standard X11-on-Wayland layer. I don't have enough
experience with Wayland to know how well those layers work, but I'd assume them
to be rather crucial for the new platform to get acceptance.

R.

  • Xquartz on high sierr... Gunning, James (Energy, Clayton North) via X11-users
    • Xquartz (non-) u... Gunning, James (Energy, Clayton North) via X11-users
      • Re: Xquartz ... Ken Preslan via X11-users
        • Re: Xqua... Filhol Alain via X11-users
          • Re: ... Ken Preslan via X11-users
            • ... Cheng-Yang Tan via X11-users
        • Re: Xqua... René J . V . Bertin via X11-users
      • Re: Xquartz ... JF Mezei via X11-users
        • Re: Xqua... Tom Lane via X11-users
          • Re: ... Ward, Mark Daniel via X11-users
            • ... Filhol Alain via X11-users
              • ... Mick Mueck via X11-users
                • ... Gunning, James (Energy, Clayton North) via X11-users
                • ... René J . V . Bertin via X11-users
                • ... Ward, Mark Daniel via X11-users
                • ... René J . V . Bertin via X11-users
                • ... Christopher Bort via X11-users