On Sunday January 05 2020 09:12:16 Ward, Mark Daniel wrote:

Hi,

>long) email a few minutes ago.  Thank you for asking this!  I don't want
>X11 usage to get relegated to (only) MacPorts users, because lots of us
>refuse to use MacPorts or Homebrew or any other package manager.

Nothing stops you from building everything by hand using the same recipes and
patches (I started using MacPorts to stop having to do that, and have a way to
do automatised reproducible builds).

>Indeed, every time that I read the news about Apple's continued success
>in the marketplace (just look at their awesome stock prices, for
>instance), I am wondering if it is worthwhile for the X11 community to
>(for instance) send a petition to Apple directly, to continue
[...]
>(I realize that I sound very naive here, and I don't want to sound that
>way.  I've been a committed Apple user since I was a child in the early
>1980's.)

This would make sense if Apple still saw the Mac as an actual Unix workstation
for serious work beyond the classical roles Macs already had under the old,
pre-Darwin Mac OS. I was a committed Apple user too (though I had a Mac IIx
under A/UX for doing my thesis), dropped out for a while during Jobs's absence,
got back onboard with Mac OS X 10.2 . But Apple haven't been making computers
I'm willing (or even able) to buy for years now, and have started taking wrong
turns (for me) since 10.11 . The latest novelties really aim at locking us out
of our own computers IMHO, so yeah, I think it's pretty naive to think that
petitioning Apple for bringing back an official X11 will have any interest.

Requests to implement missing system calls to make porting Wayland easier might
stand more chance but more so if they're not used only by Wayland. Let's not
forget that the platform no longer has the same need to run
legacy/cross-platform X11 applications, and since good, free VNC software is
now readily available there's no longer a real need for being able to act as an
X11 display server either.

  • Re: Xquartz (non-) us... JF Mezei via X11-users
    • Re: Xquartz (non... Tom Lane via X11-users
      • Re: Xquartz ... Ward, Mark Daniel via X11-users
        • Re: Xqua... Filhol Alain via X11-users
          • Re: ... Mick Mueck via X11-users
            • ... Gunning, James (Energy, Clayton North) via X11-users
            • ... René J . V . Bertin via X11-users
            • ... Ward, Mark Daniel via X11-users
            • ... René J . V . Bertin via X11-users
            • ... Christopher Bort via X11-users
            • ... René J . V . Bertin via X11-users
            • ... Don MacQueen via X11-users
            • ... René J . V . Bertin via X11-users
            • ... Gunning, James (Energy, Clayton North) via X11-users